Hollister in 2008:
A bid for Casa de WorldCon
Hollister? Casa de what? What is this crazytalk?
- There's this whole bidding process by which organizations campaign to hold a WorldCon at their site. This year at L.A.con IV, Chicago, Columbus and Denver are already bidding to win the 2008 WorldCon.
- Bidding and voting is regulated by the World Science Fiction Society (an unincorporated literary society that holds the WorldCon trademarks)
- These regulations are only important if you intend to win. If you intend to lose, break at least one to ensure you're ineligible
- There is a grand tradition of hoax bids, bids that don't qualify and can't win but are fun and silly
- Some people get offended by hoax bids. We call them easy targets
- There are two major routes between Los Angeles and the SF Bay Area. One takes you right past Casa de Fruta on CA Highway 152
- Casa de Fruta is a major California landmark.
- Casa de Fruta has a 14 room hotel (Casa de Inn), a 300-space RV park (Casa de RV) and a conference center (without a cute name)
- 2008 is the centennial of Casa de Fruta
- You see where this is going, don't you?
Would you like to be a part of the most memorable bid for a WorldCon in years? You can support us in several ways.
Join Hollister in 2008!
|I’m a Nut! (Friend of the Bid):||$20|
What do these membership levels get you? Pre-support gets you the satisfaction of helping with a great hoax. “I’m a Nut!” also gets your name on the Casa de WorldCon Wall of Fame at our bid party at L.A.con IV. BidCom membership gets your name in our program book ad (if we sell enough memberships to pay for a party and a program book ad) and the opportunity to help with the party. Pre-opposing gets your name on the Casa de WorldCon Wall of Shame at the party.
Circle One: Pre-Sup ($10) | Nut ($20) | BidCom ($30) | Pre-Op ($40)
Hand-deliver your registration to Andy Trembley, Kevin Roche or Chris Garcia
Hollister in 2008 is a committee of the Bay Area Science Fiction Association
We chose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are weird!