- "Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time." Mixed messages.
- "Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time." Flip-Flop.
- "Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time." Even in the face of contrary evidence and changing intelligence, I have faith I'm right. Flip-Flop! Mixed messages!
- I can give an articulate answer to almost any question thrown at me.
- No matter how I try not to I look detached and dispassionate.
- Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden are two different people.
And of course 3 lines from John McCain in the following analysis (BBC, Larry King et al):
- John Kerry gave articulate answers.
- George W. Bush isn't a complicated man.
- I want to run for President again as a Republican, so I can't torpedo Bush.
k, actually they all said more.
The density of buzzwords in W's answers and responses is not exaggerated.
I'm going to finish with The Best Gotcha (Kerry Line 3):
Lehrer: Mr. President, new question. Two minutes. Does the Iraq experience make it more likely or less likely that you would take the United States into another pre-emptive military action?
Bush: I would hope I never have to. I understand how hard it is to commit troops. Never wanted to commit troops. When I was running -- when we had the debate in 2000, never dreamt I'd be doing that.
But the enemy attacked us, Jim, and I have a solemn duty to protect the American people, to do everything I can to protect us.
Kerry: Jim, the president just said something extraordinarily revealing and frankly very important in this debate. In answer to your question about Iraq and sending people into Iraq, he just said, "The enemy attacked us."
Saddam Hussein didn't attack us. Osama bin Laden attacked us. Al Qaeda attacked us. And when we had Osama bin Laden cornered in the mountains of Tora Bora (Afghanistan), 1,000 of his cohorts with him in those mountains. With the American military forces nearby and in the field, we didn't use the best-trained troops in the world to go kill the world's No. 1 criminal and terrorist.
They outsourced the job to Afghan warlords, who only a week earlier had been on the other side fighting against us, neither of whom trusted each other.